On the Humber estuary in England stands Grimsby-Lincolnshire, which is a seaport. People believe that a Danish fisherman called this place Grim, which means village in ancient Norse. That is the origin of its name.
The town was originally called Great Grimsby as there was a village called Little Grimsby less than 15 miles (24 km) away. If you were born in Grimsby, you would be known as a Grimbarian.
Grimsby has a population of around 88,000 and is physically adjoined to the town of Cleethorpes with 11,000 of inhabitants living in the village of Scatho, which Grimsby absorbed before Green Belt laws were introduced. North East Lincolnshire is the local council responsible for all 3 districts.
To the west of the town passes the River Freshney, towards the A46 road. The A46 terminates in Cleethorpes at the junction with the A16 north of Wintringham.
Although founded by the Danes in 9th Century, there is evidence that Romans were around the Grimsby region some 7 centuries earlier. Grimsbys location was ideal for ships to shelter from storms being located on the Haven, flowing into the River Humber as well as being ideally placed to the North Sea for fishing.
The foundation of the town by Grim the danish viking is unsupported as legend but there is an Association called the Grim and Havelock Association who have produced some evidence to back up this claim.
Grimsby developed into a flourishing trading and fishing port during 12th Century and became important in terms of tax revenue. King John granted the town its charter in 1201 with the first mayor being installed in 1218.
Unlike some other towns like York, Grimsby does not have walls around the town as it was too small and was already protected by marshy ground around it.There were a couple of parish churches but only one remains known as Grimsby Minster.
The 15th Century saw ships not being able to dock in the Humber which began the start of Grimsbys decline which continued until the late 1790s. By the end of the 18th century, the population of around 1,500 was about that of the Middle Ages.
The early 19th Century saw rapid growth and Grimsbys port saw a boom with imports of iron, wheat, timber, flax and hemp. They had to build new docks to cope with the capacity and the 1845 Grimsby Docks Act allowed and financed the building work necessary.
The arrival of railways in 1848 made transportation of goods to and from the port much simpler. Coal mined in South Yorkshire came in by rail and exported through Grimsby – Lincolnshire. The population increased from 75,000 in 1901 to 92,000 by 1931 but remained at that level for most of the 20th Century.