. Nestled in Florida, near its more famously known cousin, Ft. Myers, lies a smaller beach community known as Sanibel Island. Passing through the toll booth that is located just outside the Island is almost like being thrown back into time. If you’ve never heard of or visited Sanibel Island, Florida, then now is the time to start planning your trip for next year. As David Letterman would say, here are your top 10 reasons to visit Sanibel Island next year.
10. Vacationing on Sanibel Island is cheaper than blood pressure medication. Sanibel Island has a much slower pace than other vacation spots. There is no rush to hurry and do this or that.
9. Visiting Sanibel Island for a week is cheaper than a gym membership or gas for your car. Once on Sanibel Island, biking and walking are the preferred modes of transportation. With over 25 miles of bike paths and nature walks, there is no reason to get into your car once you have arrived on the island. None, not one.
8. Sanibel Island even has something for fans of NASCAR. Love NASCAR and just can’t get enough of the racing? Maybe you don’t like attending NASCAR races because of the noise, fumes, and grime. Try out Sanibel Island’s own version of NASCAR. Every Monday and Thursday night The Crow’s Nest Restaurant features the Legends of NASCRAB. You and your family members can choose your own crab, name it, and then hoot and holler it to Victory Lane.
7. The Sanibel Island Police guarantee that they will not ever, under any circumstances, issue you a ticket for running a red light. Of course, that guarantee is easy for them to keep because there are no traffic lights on Sanibel Island.
6. You are guaranteed to lose at least 20 pounds on Sanibel Island during the winter months. The average temperature in the winter on Sanibel Island is 77 degrees. You can discard those bulky coats, hats, sweaters, and boots. Island dress consists of shorts, t-shirts, and flip-flops.
5. Those who are mourning the loss of their favorite soap opera “The Guiding Light” can get their fix on Sanibel Island. Sanibel Island is home to one of the oldest lighthouses in America. Affectionately referred to as “The Guiding Light” this picturesque lighthouse provides the only artificial light seen on Sanibel Island after dark.
4. There are no crowds on Sanibel Island. Sanibel Island has more wildlife per capita on the Island than it has people.
3. You can collect enough seashells to decorate every inch of your home in beach decor. All you need is a hot glue gun. Sanibel Island has been named the top shelling spot in the U.S. and one of the top shelling spots in the world.
2. You can catch a fish and eat it without ever having to clean or cook the fish. The Lazy Flamingo features a dish on its menu called “Your Catch.” For a low price, you can bring your fresh catch into any of their three locations on the Island and they will clean it and prepare it to your specifications.
And the Number One reason to vacation on Sanibel Island…
1. Orlando may have Donald Duck, but Sanibel Island has “The Mucky Duck.” The Mucky Duck is perfect for families dining out or for couples. It has been created with an English Pub as a reference, but it is so much more than that. Full of fun souvenirs, friendly service, and a total beach atmosphere, The Mucky Duck is fun without the commercialism of its more famous cousin.